How Hard Is It To Wire A Ring Doorbell?
Users who are considering a Ring doorbell for the first time can get intimidated by the wiring system. They often ask around, how hard is it to wire a Ring doorbell? The answer is a bit complicated.
If your house already has a wiring system installed, the procedure is not difficult at all. However, it can get a bit complicated if you’re installing the entire wiring system from scratch.
Let’s get to the bottom of this issue.
How Hard Is It To Wire A Ring Doorbell?
Your new Ring video doorbell is conveniently installed in your pre-installed doorbell wiring. So, there’s nothing complicated you will have to go through. However, it’s mandatory to have a clear idea about the procedure to avoid any inconvenience.
Ring’s website comes with the precise instructions you need to follow for installing wired devices from the brand. Let’s take a look at the process step by step.
How To Install Ring Video Doorbell
Step 1: Disconnect The Power Source
The first thing to do when installing the doorbell is to disconnect the line from the electricity source. If you can’t locate which line is connected to the doorbell, contact someone who can help you with this.
Step 2: Locate The Chime Unit
If your existing doorbell system is working, the Ring video doorbell will replace it. You need to locate where the chime unit is. Ring the previous doorbell and follow the sound to locate the chime unit before disconnecting the power source.
Step 3: Open The Chime Unit
Open the chime unit by removing the cover. The power source should be disconnected by now because you will be dealing with wires. Take the jumper cable from the Ring kit. This is for bypassing the old chime unit. If you are confused about the jumper cable, check our article on whether can you install a Ring doorbell without jumper cables.
Step 4: Attach The Jumper Cable
Locate the screws that saws ‘front’ and ‘trans.’ Loosen the screws without messing up the rest of the wiring. Attach two ends of the jumper cable with these screws. It’s not important which end of the jumper cable you attach to which screw. Tighten the screws after attaching the jumper cable.
Step 5: Replace The Doorbell
Now, remove your existing doorbell and detach the wires from the doorbell. Tape the wires to the wall, or they may get inside the holes. Now, take out your Ring doorbell and place it on the wall. If it’s a concrete wall, mark the spot of the screws and drill holes in them. If it’s a wooden wall, drilling isn’t necessary.
Attach the wire to the Ring doorbell. Put the rest of the wire back into the wall’s hole. Screw the Ring doorbell in place using the screws that came with the Ring kit. It’s mandatory that you use the ones that came with the Ring device. Once everything is in place, put the cover in place.
Step 6: Check If It’s Working
Turn the power back on so that the device becomes online. Check if the doorbell is connected to your device properly and providing all the services it should. In case there’s something wrong, check the connections again.
If There Is No Pre-Installed Doorbell Wiring
In case your house is brand new and does not have a pre-installed doorbell wiring system in place, the process is going to be a bit difficult. You will have to purchase separate parts and install all of them.
Buying a transformer, a chime unit, and the Ring kit is the easiest part. Installing them in place is much more complicated and requires a professional electrician. So, it’s best not to approach this by yourself.
Instead, the best thing to do in this case is to hire an electrician. Most of the time, there will be doorbell wiring installed with a chime unit. The entire system is consist of a chime unit, a transformer, and a doorbell button.
When installing the Ring doorbell, all you need to do is to add the jumper cable to the chime unit and replace the doorbell button with the new one.
Tips For Wiring Ring Doorbell
- Refer to the user manual. All devices are unique and may feature different installation instructions. You will also find video instructions online based on the specific product you’re using.
- After unboxing the Ring kit, make sure that it has everything required to install the doorbell. If something is missing, you can always contact support from the brand for help.
- Keep everything required to install the device near at hand. This way, you won’t have to search for components in the middle of the procedure.
- If you have any confusion about how the process will go, or you’re not comfortable dealing with electrical components, make sure to avoid doing it on your own. Hire an electrician and let them do it for you.
- Do not attempt to do the procedure without disconnecting the power source. Because you will be dealing with exposed wires, shocking hazards are a possibility.
- It’s better not to attempt to install the entire doorbell wiring from scratch if your house does not have a pre-installed system.
- Make sure to use the exact component required to install the ring device. Some parts, like the jumper cable, are replaceable if lost. On the other hand, some parts, like the security screws, must be the original ones that came with the kit.
It’s important that you figure out how hard is it to wire a Ring doorbell before purchasing one. This will help you determine whether you will need an electrician or not. If you want to avoid the whole hassle of wired doorbells, you can always go for one that’s battery-powered.
That being said, wired doorbells aren’t tough to install, assuming that you already have a doorbell wiring system installed in your house. If not, you can always ask a professional to do it for you.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from Qualifying Purchases.